“A roof is just a roof.” If we had a nickel for every time we heard that we’d be millionaires!
A roof is not just a roof, though. Much like televisions, cars, and phones, lots of advancements have happened over the years to develop a roof that works great and lasts for decades.
When investing in a new roof, modern roofing should be on your mind. Read on to learn the advantages of a modern roof and what modern roofing means.
One built by a reputable modern roofer
Much like anything else you do with your home, the first step towards installing a modern roof is to work with a quality modern roofing contractor.
Quality roofers know modern roofs better than anyone else. They live, eat, and breathe modern roofing and know what a quality roof is. They also are constantly keeping up with trends and new developments in the roofing world. If a new technology comes out that creates a stronger, more beautiful roof, you better believe they’re looking at it and seeing if it can help their clients.
Best yet, they’re trained, certified, and respected in the community. When they build a roof, you know that no matter the weather, it will stand up and keep you and your family safe.
Some things you should always expect from your roofer:
- Good communication: You’re going to have questions during the roofing process. It’s inevitable. Make sure you work with a roofer that’ll be able to answer your questions. Further, make sure they’ll be there to give you status updates throughout the project.
- Clear diagnosis: Make sure they provide you with the problem with your roof. You should be empowered to make a good decision.
- Positive reviews: Look at review sites online to make sure that the roofer has been recommended by other homeowners and has a good reputation.
- They’ve worked in your city: You want to work with a roofer with experience in your city. Not only does this signal that they’re a part of the community, but they’ll also know what works and what doesn’t in your climate.
- They’re insured, licensed, and bonded: Making sure that the roofers you work with have these credentials protect yourself against bad work. Hiring someone without these certifications can leave you with a subpar roof.
- Free estimates: A modern roofer should be willing to provide you with an estimate on your project. While their time is valuable, they should be willing to earn your business.
The old roof is taken off completely
Back in the day, “recover” roofing jobs were a big job that subpar roofers pitched as a lower-cost method to install a new roof.
Today, these recover jobs are not even legal most of the time. This is because they generally just re-shingle your roof, which is almost never the actual reason your roof is leaking in the first place. It’s just covering up a likely moldy and leaky roof.
Even if they say they just want to keep old flashings or vents to save you on these material costs, don’t fall into the trap! These components will wear much faster than the rest of your roof, leading to a roof that will need to be replaced again quickly.
A modern roof is a completely new roof.
Uses quality material
Modern roofs do not rely solely on the angle of the roof to provide you with a dry and weather-free home (though angle is important!). Modern roofs are made from quality materials that will take a beating and last. The last thing you want is a mid-rain storm roof failure that creates a whole other home improvement project.
Always ask any roofer why they’re using a certain product on your roof. While you likely don’t know the ins and outs of modern roofing materials, your roofer should. You deserve the best modern roofing material for your roof.
In today’s day and age, when you buy a product you need to believe that it’ll last. The best way to do this? Make sure your roof has a good warranty.
When a modern roofing project is completed, there are generally two components to any roof warranty:
- Labor warranty: A warranty on the workmanship of the roof. This covers a faulty job installing the roof. This is covered by the roofing contractor.
- Materials warranty: This warranty covers failure or manufacturers defects on the actual materials the roof is made from. These are generally offered by the manufacturer and not the roofing contractor themselves.
Modern roofs generally carry a 10-year warranty on labor. That is the industry standard and you realistically should not expect anything less if you want a modern roof.
Make sure it is up to code
Buildings need to abide by modern codes. As we mentioned above, it’s never a good idea to work with an out-of-town roofer. Not only do they not know what materials and types of roofs will work with specific environments, they also won’t know what is allowed in each and every community.
Not only could there be aesthetic codes you need to consider, but height codes and fire codes. A local roofer will know these like the back of their hands and know how to deliver an up-to-code solution.
A modern roof is a beautiful one
We all want our home to look beautiful. High-quality materials and top roofers know how to deliver beautiful roofs to homeowners and offer good suggestions on the direction for your roof.
Depending on your home style, you may be limited in the type of roof your home can handle. But you can bet that any roofer who can install a modern roof will do a great job making sure it looks as good as it possibly can.
If you need a new roof, you need a modern roof
If you’re investing in a new roof, make sure it’s one that will last. Fivecoat Roofing is a trusted Hillsboro modern roofing company. We exclusively use high-tech materials and build modern roofs.
Contact us today for a free estimate and to get yourself on a path towards a modern roof.